Bumper Stickers

Life is full of "bumper stickers"
Sayings that are meaningful or keen.
But do you have them just to go along?
Do you say good things that you don't mean?

I saw one on a car today,
It said, "Jesus loves you, I do, too"
But the driver shook his fist and cursed
At some guy who wouldn't let him through.

I saw one that told me to "Be Happy"
Alongside a yellow smiley face
But the driver looked laden with a world of sorrow
As down the road he raced.

"Support Our Troops" ribbons honor our soldiers
And the seeds of liberty they've planted.
But how often do we belittle their sacrifice
By taking it all for granted?

On Facebook everyone joins this cause:
"To Write Love on Her Arms" is their creed.
But how many of them have dropped everything
To help a girl in need?

A TV preacher said, "Love your neighbor"
I wonder when was the last time
That preacher saw a man in need
And even thought to give a dime.

I saw a singer at a show
He sang, "Praise Jesus! Bless His holy name!"
But everything he did onstage
He did for his own fame.

So take the "bumper stickers" off your life
Let's see who you really are.
I'd rather see you live it out
Than stick it on your car.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Jo-shmo.

I am taking the plunge...and joining the world of Blogger. =)

Threnody said...

Didn't know you knew about TWLOHA. It makes most Baptists nervous. Good for you.